“I need to be the primary main within the metaverse.”
After buying the enduring Dying Row Information model final week, Snoop Dogg launched his new album “BODR (Bacc on Dying Row)” as a “stash field” of NFTs, or non-fungible tokens. Our leisure tech reporter Christian Hetrick notes that music artists and record labels have flocked to crypto collectibles at a time when excursions are nonetheless hampered by the pandemic and the music enterprise continues to be adapting to the economics of streaming.
Right here’s what else we’re studying within the information:
– Chicken renews its permit to provide scooters in Long Beach, and expands in Santa Barbara.
– Machine studying, blockchain know-how and AI take middle stage at this yr’s Spring Break Art Show in Los Angeles.
– Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine companion with designer and shoe manufacturers to offer more creative courses for South L.A. college students.
– Trend tech startup Zilingo, which has places of work in L.A., seeks to raise $200 million to broaden.
– Reese Witherspoon’s Whats up Sunshine model partners with World of Women to mint leisure NFTs.
The legendary Lengthy Seaside-born rapper announced this week that Dying Row “will probably be an NFT label,” simply days after buying the Los Angeles document label that launched his profession and put West Coast hip-hop on the worldwide map.
The state’s Republican lawyer basic, Ken Paxton said the investigation was related to concerns that TikTok’s content material has been used to advertise human trafficking and drug smuggling throughout the U.S.-Mexico border.
The Santa Monica-based social media large announced a new “buddy system”-esque feature that provides Snapchat customers the flexibility to share their real-time location with particular person associates on the app.
As a part of its lawsuit over a office tradition the place girls have been allegedly topic to sexual harassment and unequal pay, California’s Division of Truthful Employment and Housing is issuing subpoenas to Activision directors to find out their information and dealing with of the allegations.
Spotter, an L.A.-based startup that licenses YouTube creators’ again catalogs, and Torrance-based protection contractor Epirus each raised $200 million this week. See the full roundup here.
This week: Riot Video games named Marc Merrill as its new president of video games and Snap employed Resh Sidhu as international director of Arcadia, the social media agency’s artistic studio for branded augmented actuality. Catch with extra of the latest job changes in L.A. tech.